Saturday 30 October 2010

A Proper Slice of Pie

The Dean Street Townhouse, Soho London, THE place to be right now. Sadly my £17.50 Mutton Pie was served in a ramekin with the pastry stuck to the sides  meaning I was not only cheated out of  my essential pastry nourishment from the bottom and sides but refused the eating of the complete lid. This is cardinal sin but, given the sumptuous surroundings, warm atmosphere and great service, I will forgive the Townhouse this significant mistake and would be delighted to return. I will not however, be ordering the pie again.  
The missus wisely chose the signature dish of mince and potatoes and she generously shared a mouthful with me. This was delicious, flavoursome and hearty. A British mainstay, true winter warmer and so pleasing I was tempted to stand on my chair and sing "Rule Britannia". Not keen for a divorce ,and needing to focus on the important business of sawing off as much of my pastry from the offending ramekin and onto my main plate, I  settled into my choice and left the singing to the professionals at the Albert Hall.
Times Review of Dean Street Townhouse
The Dean Street Townhouse 
The luxurious but softly softly dining room

1 comment:

  1. £17.50 for a slice of pie, which isn't a slice! More of a bowl with a lid if you ask me. Sounds like a cost cutting exercise for the Town House. good review though, at least I know now to stick to the northern pubs when wanting a proper slice of pie!

    ReplyDelete