Tuesday 20 March 2012

Cuisine du Sud - Southern Style Cooking with a European Flourish

There are so many restaurants to choose from in SF that when you're in the mood for a splurge it's hard to go back to one you've already enjoyed if, like me, you don't splurge as often as you'd like. Sure you can go back to your favourite burger bar repeatedly but when there are plenty of top end offerings to send your taste buds on a reverie, the risk of going back somewhere that you hold in high regard and finding that it's not as good as you remember or time has embellished your experience, is risky. I'm so glad we went back to 1300 Fillmore.

My French 75
I first took The Missus here for her birthday in 2011 and had one of the best meals I've ever eaten in the city. I still dream of the hickory smoked spare ribs that were on special and the cornbread that's lighter on your tongue than Wayne Sleep is lighter on his feet. Looking for a special place to take my folks who were in town from the UK, The Missus and I took the gamble to go back to 1300 Filmore. It offers something you don't get in the UK, Southern style cooking, but it has a lighter, more sophisticated edge.

The ambiance is just as I remembered, if not better. Relaxing, classy but also with a buzz. Jazz legends adorned the walls as we sipped on our cocktails, reclining in leather armchairs but the night was given even more of an oomph when we could hear house music playing subtlety but noticeably in the background. The "European accent" that enhances the food has tripped on into the sound system. 

Not a wall of sound but a wall of jazz
The cornbread is still light, fresh and cakey like fresh brioche. I ordered the Maple Syrup Slow Braised Beef Short Ribs. Beef that again dissolved on my tongue. The velvety mash was delicious (though still not as good as the mash served at Maze in London but that was something else entirely). The mac and cheese with truffle was rich and creamy.

For our appetizers we shared the Shrimp Hushpuppies which were, for me, the lowest point of the meal either slightly over done or the oil was a little old but I was in the minority. The rest of the party lapped them up. We were persuaded by the waiter to try the Barbecue Shrimp N Creamy Grits. I really don't like grits but good Lord they were delicious. Light, creamy and not that sloppy grainy texture I'm used to. In true Southern style I couldn't stop myself from mopping the plate with the remnants of the cornbread.

Braised short rib
By the time we got to dessert we were all pleasantly full but just for kicks shared the homemade cookies and ice-cream. The texture of the cookies was another melt in the mouth taste sensation though the cinnamon was a little overdone  but, seeing as Americans can't get enough of the spice, I doubt this is a bad thing for most diners.

Dinner was fantastically rounded off with a visit from the chef and owner, a fellow Brit who, like so many I've met, came to SF for a short trip and never went home. I'm so glad he didn't. I'd have no qualms in recommending 1300 Fillmore to anyone or indeed to going back again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment